International Union of Lipoplasty
The IUL, International Union of Lipoplasty, is committed to promoting and providing continuing medical education on Lipoplasty techniques and all procedures associated with adipose tissue working cooperatively and worldwide to establish standards for patient safety as our highest priority.
- To promote a higher level of knowledge among physicians with surgical specialties working in lipoplasty.
To provide workshops and training to learn or update knowledge in the different modalities of safe lipoplasty.
To offer standard and global practice protocols through the IUL guidelines
Dr. Gustavo Leibaschoff founded the IUL in 1991 when the term “Lipoplasty” began to be relevant and not only considered as a “liposuction” technique.
Lipoplasty is recognized within the international medical community as an area of specialization, a branch in the field of cosmetic surgery that includes adipose tissue (AT), its understanding, and new studies, and that includes treatments of Liposuction (Liposculpture) and Lipograft.
Dr. Gustavo Leibaschoff, as President and founder of the IUL, welcomes technological developments and new medical devices but should always be backed by scientific research with the presentation of clinical studies that support their claims.
- Online courses with video demonstrations of procedures.
- Hands-On Courses.
- Video demonstration sessions with step-by-step procedures performed by experts.
- Newsletters with international updates.
Liposuction and lipografting are a magnet within cosmetic medicine. Aggressive advertising and rampant marketing generate misinformation among patients and many doctors. It is the physician’s responsibility to be trained and provide safe and effective procedures.
The exchange of experiences of expert colleagues through meetings, congresses, etc., is beneficial and part of the continuous learning process. Still, it is not enough for a complete educational experience.
The IUL truly believes that the learning process of any surgical procedure is not complete until you take a focus course on the subject and training with expert guidance.
Steps to a Safe Liposculpture
The performance of Liposculpture is a surgical act.
These are facts accumulated through more than 30 years dedicated exclusively to Lipoplasty.
- Correct diagnosis and indication/ Evaluation of patient expectations.
- Correct use of iconography in the medical consultation and the pre and post-surgery.
- Preparation of the patient and preop treatments.
- Precise placement of the patient on the operating table.
- The importance of ergonomics for the surgeon and the patient.
- The tumescent anesthesia, specifics
- The support of conscious sedation.
- Choice of cannulas. The best for each step of the surgery.
- Different liposculpture techniques according to the patient’s diagnosis
- Use of state-of-the-art equipment.
- Rules for safe Liposculpture
- Knowledge of Liposculpture Guidelines
- The immediate and mediate postoperative period is as important as the surgery itself.
The IUL appoints scientific representatives in different countries.
- Medical specialty with surgical skills: Cosmetic Surgeon, Gynecologist, Dermatologist.
- Have attended practical IUL training.
- Acceptance of the IUL guidelines.
- Each member country must organize at least one annual course or refresher seminar or other type of event in its area of representation and must be done in conjunction with the International Union of Lipoplasty under the guidance and approval of Dr. Leibaschoff.
- The IUL will provide technical expertise in the development and delivery of the program, in some cases with the presence of an international experience.
- Each representation must provide the organization that requires the event that is decided to carry out.